I've enjoyed spending a little time with Things 1 and 2 today, before they head back to school on Wednesday. Thing 2 and I watched 80s videos on youtube this morning. While I had to experience Reliant K and Skillet a few times, I was able to sneak in my argument for Justin Timberlake's "Cry Me a River." Still love that video! We watched some Tom Petty (LOVE!) "Lucky," "Don't Come Around Here No More" and "Free Fallin'" because I just had to show Thing 2 how John Mayer's version does not do Tom Petty's song justice. Sure, Mayer's is a fine song, just a milder, gentler version. I want a little bit of scream in mine, thankyouverymuch.
And I was in a music store this weekend and heard a great new group, Framing Hanley. (I'm pretty good at picking new groups.) When I first heard Linkin Park, at least a year before they were on the radio, I told the boys this was the next new thing, and I bought their CD. Same thing with Daddy Yankee. I was at a Mexican restaurant and heard a great song, asked the waiter to play it again (and again) and to tell me who it was. Through a series of lost translations, I finally figured it out and bought Barrio Fino, and loved it. So too was today while listening to the radio and "Black Betty" came on. That song still rocks. I yelled out "Black Betty, Ram Jam, 1976!" while both boys gave me *that look* again - as if there were cameras and Musical Jeopardy was taping my performance - and silently held their hands up for me to do the slow High Five. I was 8 when that song came out. I remember being in kindergarten and adults asking me, "What's your favorite color, sweetheart?" And I, being the odd child, said, "Black and white, because I want to be like Diana Ross." I'm sure my mother was mildly upset when I also started buying Ebony Jet magazine as a teen because Prince was on the cover. Hey, we three sisters got to choose one thing when we went to the grocery store. My sisters got their favorite cereal, pop tarts, etc. Me, I got Ebony Jet. I know this makes little sense, but I had a feel for the music business early on.
So to make sure I don't fall behind, I went to Target and got an iTunes card to download those rockin' favorites and find a new musical love.
And speaking of love, my BFF Jamie and I used to listen to (the then new) Alanis Morissette's "Uninvited" like oh... 12 times a day when we worked together. It's still a good song. Yet, now she's starting her own new discovery because she's leaving for Flo-rida. For good. I cannot believe it. And I know she'll get down there and love it but I'll miss her. Love you, Jamie!

No comments:
Post a Comment