About Me

My photo
Where Gravy Is a Side Dish, United States
Ever hear that everyone can do something well, especially with practice? Well.. my kids will tell you, my singing brings hands to ears and the neighbor's dogs wailing. In fact, I'm not good at a lot of things. I'm always looking for ways to make my life easier, cleaner, more organized and fun.

Thursday, September 3, 2009

Sorry

So I realize I haven't posted in awhile. There's an explanation. Well, several.

After much discussion, we decided (my husband and me) that I needed to get a full-time position that brought in regular money, i.e. not XX amount this month and XX amount next month. So subbing was out. I got a job making okay money at one of the largest employers in Alabama. I hated it. Words cannot describe how horrible it was and how close I felt to having to go back to the therapist. I actually began contemplating horrible things and knew that this was not healthy for my family. Why, you ask was it so horrible? This would be a really long post if I went into it all. The people were not friendly. I was rushed, they were rushed and no one had much time to train me because of the budget crunch. Some ladies doing similar jobs said they didn't take a lunch hour but worked through theirs because they had to catch up. They didn't get overtime, so this means they were giving up hours a week, days a month to this place rather than get up and take a walk around the block. It was insane. The people I was working directly with were nice, but I couldn't keep that job because of the other aspects.

So I quit on a Monday and went in to sub at the local middle school that same day. I was in heaven. LOVE being with kids. The next day I went back and subbed. Oh, the joy! Loved it - history class. They were great kids and I couldn't have asked for a better change. Then I got a call from another place asking me if I'd take a job there. (I had interviewed at several places the weeks prior.) Of course I said yes. It was a part-time job but it was steady money and I'd still be able to do my research projects and kid stuff (appointments, games, etc.) in the afternoons.

I cannot tell you how wonderful it has been at the new place. Everyone (really!) has been so nice to me. From the time I got to the front gate to the lunchroom, everyone is smiling and nice. It is such a shock. I wonder if God didn't put me in that horrible place just so I could appreciate how wonderful this new place is.

In the meantime, that long-talked-about article in the Vulcan Historical Review has been published, which can be purchased through UAB. (Write me if you want one.) And the History Channel sent me a note asking if I'd be interested in being a historical reviewer for places in Alabama. While it is an unpaid position, I gladly said yes. So one day this weekend, my husband and I will visit a museum in central Alabama dedicated to POWs in WWII. More on that later. Promise.

5 comments:

Cat said...

I'm so glad you found a new job. I hated knowing that you were so miserable at the other. Visiting museums sounds like a dream job to me and I'd do it for free as well. God's smiling on you!

Jamie said...

Yah Happy Beth is back! I missed her....

Unknown said...

OMG. that is so Awesome!! Yipee!!
I am so happy for you.
I want to hear AAALLLLLLL about it!!
xoxo,
Laura

Andrea said...

The new job sounds awesome. Yay!

bethbbk said...

Yes, it is really turning out well. Thanks!