About Me

My photo
Where Gravy Is a Side Dish, United States
Ever hear that everyone can do something well, especially with practice? Well.. my kids will tell you, my singing brings hands to ears and the neighbor's dogs wailing. In fact, I'm not good at a lot of things. I'm always looking for ways to make my life easier, cleaner, more organized and fun.

Friday, July 25, 2008

Hand Me Down Genes

Well, it's finally happened. Poor 4-yr old has an ingrown toenail. He comes from a long line of ingrown toenail family members. So I called and then took him to the doctor this morning. Since Thing 1 was available (still asleep in his bed), I took him too for moral support and physical strength in case drastic measures were to be taken. Dr. Hale said the toe was on its way to recovery and wasn't quite bad enough for antibiotics but he needs to sit in warm water to let the toe drain (yummy thought). He also said the toenail would need surgery shortly down the road because it would happen again. I'm thinking: Crap, he got that toenail gene too!

Bringing Thing 1 with me didn't help. 4-yr old was the child from Heeelllllllllllllllll (rhymes with his doc's name). I was SO hoping he'd be better about this sort of stuff. Nope. He talked the entire time the doc was trying to talk to me and then he refused to walk when we left so Thing 1 (who was having horrible gas and diarrhea at the time) had to come with me and drag 4-yr old down the hall. I was ready to walk out like I didn't know either of them. Thing 1 picked 4-yr old up and carried him the rest of the way down the hall until the elevator doors. I told Thing 1 to leave the kid by the elevators and windows and the two of us would get on. When the ding of the doors opened and the two of us got on, the 4-yr old screamed when he realized we would actually leave him and (gasp) w a l k e d (it was a miracle).

The whole way home he screamed to go to granddad's house - because we all know granddad would NEVER do that to him. Then I dropped Thing 1 off at the house to stop smelling up my car and took crybaby on to daycare. When he realized we were at daycare, he was uncontrollable: "Oh my God woman, after what you just put me through you are going to drop me off again. What kind of a mother are you?" So then I left him because I got the mean-mom gene.

Here's hoping for a better day tomorrow.

3 comments:

Jamie said...

Now THIS is a great post

Unknown said...

I have the mean-mom gene too. Sometimes it is so satisfying!!!

bethbbk said...

See - we came by it honestly. Through no fault of our own.