About Me

My photo
Where Gravy Is a Side Dish, United States
Ever hear that everyone can do something well, especially with practice? Well.. my kids will tell you, my singing brings hands to ears and the neighbor's dogs wailing. In fact, I'm not good at a lot of things. I'm always looking for ways to make my life easier, cleaner, more organized and fun.

Friday, January 23, 2009

Isolation

There's been a lot of talk lately about how we, as Americans, are becoming more isolated due to technology. Yes, the same technology that is supposed to be bringing us all together. So things like FaceBook, MySpace and all those other networks are harming us. We spend time writing to people (some we don't even really know) in our dens or bedrooms and don't really get out and communicate with live people. Some have said that social networks even make us fat...wait, there's no chocolate at MY keyboard!
I am kind of middle-of-the-road in this argument because I do see technology bringing us together. If it weren't for this kind of technology, I wouldn't be able to keep up with my friend Jamie who moved to Florida. I can see pictures of her and her home as well as trade jibs about whatever is going on. And I've "met" people online by way of other people. Although I don't think I've ever physically met Brandice, although anything is possible at Wal-Mart, I think of her as my friend, despite the relationship as being online.
But I do feel like there is a lot of time I spend online looking at stuff that may not really matter. I daily check out imdb.com (actually several times a day) because I love movies and want to know what's going on in that world. I usually check yahoo.com to get an overview of what the world and nation are doing today and often that leads me to other sites. I always check my sites and the ones I follow. This time is probably better spent in other places (cleaning, laundry), and yet I feel like it is also an outlet for me. People online could care less if you are 20 lbs overweight, wear lipstick to check the mail or that your shower isn't clean. And isn't that the way we really want our friends to think of us?
In Political Science class, we're looking at the idea of isolation from the perspective of freedoms. Should the government regulate how many children we have to keep the population at bay? Should they be allowed to listen in on our cell phone conversations? At what point is THE POINT? I don't know. But the more I think about this, the more I think that people are always a bit more selfish than they let on. Given the opportunity to give part of their paycheck to others or keep it themselves, most will keep it unless it is some sort of workplace conspiracy to give to meet a red-feather goal or something. Like you'd loose your job if you didn't give kind of thing.
So in dealing with this issue, I thought I'd ask those few of you who read my blog to tell me what you think. Are we as a nation of individuals becoming more isolationist as a result of technology?

No comments: