About Me

My photo
Where Gravy Is a Side Dish, United States
Ever hear that everyone can do something well, especially with practice? Well.. my kids will tell you, my singing brings hands to ears and the neighbor's dogs wailing. In fact, I'm not good at a lot of things. I'm always looking for ways to make my life easier, cleaner, more organized and fun.

Thursday, January 22, 2009

College, Week Two and a Half

I'll be brief here - I hate math. No one has ever stopped me on the street and asked me what a vector was. I've never had to calculate the square meters or volume of my pantry and how many cans of a certain size will fit in it. I've never actually counted the number of seconds it took something to drop from the top of a building or the rate at which a ball rolls. Frankly, who cares?

I'm living proof you can go happily through life without having to know any of this stuff. WHY do they make history majors learn this stuff? Aside from WHO scientists were and WHAT they were famous for, this has absolutely no relevance to me and my future career whatsoever.

The only cases I can think of in which any of this could possibly come in handy is if:
1) I'm on a game show and will win more money than I could spend
2) All those sci-fi movies were true and I had to save the human race by using the Pythagorean formula

I'm not holding my breath.

3 comments:

Laura said...

LOL. I agree to the UTMOST DEGREE. Did they teach you what "utmost degree" was yet in your class??
Plus, I watch game shows and I never see that stuff on Wheel of Fortune or Win, Lose, Or Draw. .. you know what I mean?

I liked your response about Mom's calls. It's eeeeerie!

bethbbk said...

And trueeeeee......

Anonymous said...

Math is for people who have WAY to much time on their hands.