About Me

My photo
Where Gravy Is a Side Dish, United States
Ever hear that everyone can do something well, especially with practice? Well.. my kids will tell you, my singing brings hands to ears and the neighbor's dogs wailing. In fact, I'm not good at a lot of things. I'm always looking for ways to make my life easier, cleaner, more organized and fun.

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

What It's All About

Yesterday I watched some of Obama's inauguration with my dad and his wife in the hospital. My dad is just in there for a few procedures, but it was a very different atmosphere from watching it at school between classes, where I thought I'd end up watching part of it. My first class was canceled so I went to be with my dad, a (now) staunch republican.
I am amazed by the overall generation gap regarding Obama. Many democrats were opposed to him for a variety of reasons. One of the biggest here in the South, was that he didn't look like the preceding presidents. Fortunately however, a larger number of Americans put aside such notions and voted him in the office, of which he took oath of yesterday.
There was a lot of local chatter on our city blog. Someone suggested that God let Obama win, but He wasn't happy about it. I had to read the sentence twice.
People that I am close to don't like Obama and aren't afraid to say so, even though they know I do like him. My comment today is one that should be reflected in this picture: Look at all those people. Probably not all of them voted for Obama. But look at that building, the area. No matter how you voted, this is a huge and daunting task. If Obama can do anything about this crappy financial situation and multiple wars, the least we can do is shut up and let him do his job. I think it would be best if we all gave him more than a day or two before all the smacktalkin'.
I tried to get 4-yr old excited (last night) and told him we have a new president today. I promised to let him see a picture on the computer, but it got late and I forgot. So as I was tucking him in, I said I'd show him tomorrow (today), but his name was Barack Obama. 4-yr old thought that name was hysterical and laughed. He even wanted me to say it again for him. I have a feeling we'll be hearing it A LOT.

No comments: