About Me

My photo
Where Gravy Is a Side Dish, United States
Ever hear that everyone can do something well, especially with practice? Well.. my kids will tell you, my singing brings hands to ears and the neighbor's dogs wailing. In fact, I'm not good at a lot of things. I'm always looking for ways to make my life easier, cleaner, more organized and fun.

Monday, January 19, 2009

The Butter Battle Book

So I went to the library Saturday to get 4-yr old some books and return the old set. I refuse to buy books right now unless they correspond with a college course. So far it's worked out okay, and we've come across some interesting finds. I usually get one or two books he can read or read with some help. I get one book specifically for the art, which I end up reading to him. And if I'm fortunate enough to find a fourth book, I'll pick something out that's part of a familiar character/TV show, etc. For instance, time before last the fourth book was one in the Dora series.
The book that fit the fourth book category this time was Dr. Seuss' The Butter Battle Book. I thought the cover looked inviting - orange - and the pictures looked interesting. But when I got it home and read it to him, I was shocked and taken aback. This IS NOT a children's book. This is for teens or people studying war. It was hard for me to get over the last page. For me, I understood what this book was trying to convey. For him, the ending was unsatisfying. I'm sure he was thinking, "What happens next, Mom?"
My suggestion then, is to borrow this book and read it for yourself. If you think you can translate the message into something your kids would understand, then go for it. But it is not a book for small children. In fact, I looked it up on Wikipedia and the book was actually banned for awhile. I previously checked out Dr. Seuss when studying WWII. Dr. Seuss did a lot of marketing for the U.S. government. If you want to see some of his wartime work, type in "Dr. Seuss, WWII" in Google Images. They are really interesting. But it is a bit odd looking at his drawing of Hitler...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

First of all, you are my hero for your commitment to the library. I really suck at the whole library thing, because I don't really like to give their books back.

Secondly, I've never even heard of this book, and now I am intrigued. I will go to the library, pay my late fee of like $30, and check it out.

bethbbk said...

Too bad - just sneak in and read it - it just takes a few minutes to read. Then put the book back. It's not like you have to be fingerprinted to walk in the door. They'll never even know... (insert evil laugh here).

My dedication to the library goes back a long way. I'm thinking of writing a bit about that one day. It is one of my most favorite places to be. I love-love-love the library. Don't you just feel smarter being there?