About Me

My photo
Where Gravy Is a Side Dish, United States
Ever hear that everyone can do something well, especially with practice? Well.. my kids will tell you, my singing brings hands to ears and the neighbor's dogs wailing. In fact, I'm not good at a lot of things. I'm always looking for ways to make my life easier, cleaner, more organized and fun.

Thursday, March 26, 2009

Notes for the Psych Doc in the Future

Know what? When my kids are living on their own, they won't be the ones who talk about how evil their mother was. They won't be the ones who obsessively check their doors or even make sure they wear clean underwear everyday. They will lie in their beds at night wondering if their rooms are clean. At least that's what I've started preparing to tell their future psychiatrists.
WHY is that so much to ask? Other than the phrase, "Really?" ... "Is your room clean?" is my second most-used phrase. Sometimes they go together:
Me: "Is your room clean?"
Kid: "Uhm, I guess so."
Me: "Really?"
(At times I've also interjected the SpongeBob SquarePants saying, "Really, REALLY, Really?")

They've caught on and become defensive:
"Is your room clean?"
"Clean for a kid or for a mom?"

And then sometimes I whip out the "what if" clause:
"Is your room clean?"
"Clean enough."
"Clean enough for a guest?"
"Who's coming over and why do they have to use our bathroom?"

They've even gone all "Clinton" on me:
"Is your room clean?"
"Define clean."

4 comments:

Cat said...

Oh yeah, heard this conversation before too many times!

Laura said...

I am still laughing at the thought of them laying awake at night.. staring at the ceiling. "But is it CLEEEEEEEEEEAAAN??"
Thank you!
p.s. you will not believe my post today.

Andrea said...

LOL These are definitely conversations I had with my mom when I was a teenager.

bethbbk said...

Whyyyy is it so hard to clean your room?