So I know I'm a goofy goober, but I had this thought today and it reminded me of Alanis Morssette's "Isn't It Ironic." Let me explain.
Today, I went to a photo studio willingly. And - bought the pictures. I know. I had this thought for awhile that I'd get my picture made for my graduation announcements. I know I'm 40 but I'm still graduating college. I'm just old enough to be my classmates' mothers.
Thing is, it is a surprise as no one knew I was going to do this. The studio is one that you view your pictures right after they shoot them and then you wait about 30 minutes for them to print out. They aren't bad for under $15 either. Having ordered Thing 1's graduation stuff from high school this year, it made me think that I'd not had that same treatment since...well, I don't know. I know I didn't get as flashy as he is with all his graduation stuff. So I guess I've never done that kind of thing unless forced to do so.
I took the biggest picture in the pack to my dad right away. He's helped me go back to college and it was just a small gesture of thanks. Now I've got all these pictures to put into MY announcements, whenever they get here.
But this weird feeling came over me as I was driving home from the portrait studio. I thought, what if I get killed in a car crash and these are the last pictures of me? Will they use these photos at my funeral? Then I'd be wearing the same clothes that I died in AND was in the photo. I haven't had my picture taken alone since high school. Is it fate that I should have these done - today? I know - a totally bizarre thought and morbid too. What can I say? I've had this gut-wrenching feeling I'll get the (fake) diploma as I cross the stage and then die of a heart attack at the ceremony. Why am I feeling this way? Is there a psychiatrist in the house? A dream interpreter?

5 comments:
wow! Too much thinking there. Calm down and eat a snickers or watch a movie.
HAHA! i agree with Cathy. Eat a Snickers, Beth. Or better yet, some Starburst. Savor them slowly and enjoy your day. And your accomplishments! Congratulations!!
Morbid thoughts just happen; best not to think of it as very significant, in my experience. Much along the same lines as sexy thoughts, and dreams.
It's exciting that you're celebrating your achievements. Good for you!
Thanks. While I was reading your comments, I was eating Lindt Lindor Truffles (60% extra dark chocolate). I'm subbing today, but somehow chocolate makes it better. And I am getting a little more excited about graduation now. Especially since I'll graduate before Thing 1, which has always been my wish!
Congrats on the graduation! I graduated college ten years after my high school graduation (detours sent me to the military first) so I know how exciting it feels!
Post a Comment