
I signed up to take the GRE on March 17th. Initially I thought, how hard can it be? I mean, I've worked with a lot of people in my 41 years. And those with masters degrees were not necessarily any more "refined" than those of us without a degree. I know school teachers who speak double negatives and business people who still don't know the difference between "there," "their" and "they're." All this is to say that I thought, "If they can do it, so can I!" (Note to new readers, I sometimes grossly underestimate things - see previous posts regarding my sewing projects.) I finally finished my B.A. degree in 2009 (only took me 22 years) and I couldn't be happier about it. But graduate school???
Let's just say that I thought the GRE would be much more like that old ACT I took way back in the days of Cyndi Lauper and Flock of Seagulls, maybe only a little harder. WRONG! When I started reading the GRE workbook, I realized (again) I am a complete idiot. I could not - I swear - do the example problem for the math section. How sad is that? :(
And frankly, who cares if x = 6 because in real life (I know this because I'm now technically middle age), I've never had to do a quadratic equation. Really. And maybe my faith is too great in Chuck Norris and Keifer Sutherland, but I'm pretty sure they don't have to use it either. And they kick ass.

No comments:
Post a Comment