About Me

My photo
Where Gravy Is a Side Dish, United States
Ever hear that everyone can do something well, especially with practice? Well.. my kids will tell you, my singing brings hands to ears and the neighbor's dogs wailing. In fact, I'm not good at a lot of things. I'm always looking for ways to make my life easier, cleaner, more organized and fun.

Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Registration Dash

Yesterday was school registration for my two teenagers (affectionally Thing 1 and Thing 2). Note that I wrote yesterDAY because it took all day. Parts of the registration went well since I'm a seasoned registration mom (should have had a T-shirt with that on it...). I was able to bypass the longest line: The make-copies-of-who-you-say-you-are-by-way-of-three-bills-not-including-your-cell-phone-bill. There were banners - I swear. I went by the high school the prior week to hand in that info early. Thus, I was able to hold my head high while passing by the losers in the copy line.
Registration is very much like bargain days at Filene's Basement - winner take all. It's a dash to the front and if there's a hiccup, you get stuck in the Monopoly Jail (the counselor's office line).
Since the middle child was at the beach with my dad, everything went pretty smoothly for his registration. And they don't offer many choices for freshman.
The senior's registration was the headache. His printed schedule was crazy. He'd been scheduled for classes that he'd not pre-registered for and others that he wanted weren't included. Then there was the issue of National Honor Society. For him to stay in it, he had to take 3 Advanced Placement/Honors classes. He'd originally decided not to take honors History (Economics & U.S. Govt) because it took up two coveted spaces on the schedule instead of regular History which only took up one spot. And one of the English teachers was absolutely adamant that he take AP English. After many arguments and 45 blessed minutes in the counselor's office, we reached our happy medium.
However, when I asked about a teaching job next year, they suggested I learn a sport in order to coach. Anyone who knows me is aware that I am the least atheletic person you're likely to meet. My friend Kristen said I should try track. She said, "How hard can it be - yell RUN. Then watch them run. Big deal." So along with my degree completion, I'll be trying on sports. I don't think professional registration runner qualifies.

No comments: