About Me

My photo
Where Gravy Is a Side Dish, United States
Ever hear that everyone can do something well, especially with practice? Well.. my kids will tell you, my singing brings hands to ears and the neighbor's dogs wailing. In fact, I'm not good at a lot of things. I'm always looking for ways to make my life easier, cleaner, more organized and fun.

Monday, September 22, 2008

Starvation

4-yr old has decided he will win the battle of wills. Lately he's been demanding pb&js for dinner every night. I will not give in. He has to eat some of what everyone else is eating before he gets something different. By this I'm sure you're thinking I'm giving in; but I just want the kid to eat.

Surely my cooking is suitable to eat and both Ford Man (dad/daddy) and I eat it and Things 1 and 2 inhale theirs. Even when girlfriend comes over, she eats what I cook and I'm pretty sure she likes it. Or she's stashing it in her purse, but she has a tiny purse...

So dad and I have been working on what we thought was an ingenious plan (insert parental laugh here). I decided to make a pb&j and put it on a plate on the table. I had 2 (TWO) bites of hash on a separate plate. One bite was a miniature cube of beef roast and the other a tiny block of potato. Would he eat it? Nope. We tried all the tricks, like, "We'll force it down your throat," he didn't budge. Dad did, however, try that and it backfired with the clenched jaws of death. We tried saying he could have cornbread if he'd just take one bite (he LOVES cornbread). We buttered the steaming cornbread right in front of him with butter that melted into golden liquid. Still nothing but puppy-dog eyes. Oh, and I got a few "Baby!"comments and some raspberries too. At one point he made the ultimate faux pax and started talking toilet at the table, "Poop goes in the potty." He wisely knew this would throw me off the real issue.

Before anyone sends me hate mail, we did consult with his pediatrician on this and HE SAID TO LET THE KID SKIP A FEW MEALS. He didn't feel missing out on a few dinners would mentally scar the kid because (and I quote), "He'll learn to eat what everyone else is eating if it is offered to him first."

So, we've tried movies, candy, food he likes, etc. to get him to just taste something outside the Jif/Smuckers food group. I'm open to ideas - please help!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know what to tell you...
I have the same troubles with Madeline. I finally just won't give her anything else to eat. She eats what I make, or she just doesn't eat.
I leave it on the table, sometimes all night and if she doesn't eat it, well, too bad.

Sometimes she eats like 2 or 3 cheerios and runs around if she were training for the 2012 Olympics.
I don't get it.

bethbbk said...

He'll eat if it is pumped full of chemicals. If it is healthy, like baked chicken, he acts like I'm trying to serve him pig slop. I just hope he gets better about it soon. And he's learned the association of fast food signage too, so that means when we drive by Jim N Nicks, he wants to go eat BBQ.

Anonymous said...

OH! I had a breakthrough the other day....

Madeline had a plate with a hotdog and chips.. not the healthiest, but it is what we had..

She wouldn't eat it, and came up to me and said "Mommy... I not eat my food cause I not hungry!!"

I calmly replied.. "okay.. then leave the plate on the table and go to bed for nap time and you can eat it later on tonight. "

She said "OH! OH! I got an IDEA!!! How about I go eat up all my food and put it in my tummy and THEN go to take nap???"

I said "okay."

and she skipped off down the hallway...