About Me

My photo
Where Gravy Is a Side Dish, United States
Ever hear that everyone can do something well, especially with practice? Well.. my kids will tell you, my singing brings hands to ears and the neighbor's dogs wailing. In fact, I'm not good at a lot of things. I'm always looking for ways to make my life easier, cleaner, more organized and fun.

Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Lock Down

Like my blogger friend, Cathy, there are days that you just can't make up. If I could put the recording from my answering machine here, it would just say it all. It would be something like this (remember to insert the disjointed robotic female voice here):
"Attention parents. This is a call from (teenagers' school). The administration wanted to make you aware of an incident at school today. A small amount of mercury was spilled in a portion of the school. Students in the direct vicinity were evaluated by health professionals. The school was (more or less locked down/quarantined) until the risk was assessed and then students were released. (Sounds like the kids are criminals.) If more information becomes available, the administration will inform you at that time."
Heck, in the 80s, we used to play with mercury and roll it around in our hands. We're still here - maybe not Alllll here, but you know.

3 comments:

chocolatecovereddaydreams.blogspot.com said...

I'm here from UBP - celebrating! I got a kick out of reading about the mercury. My twin sister and I accidentally broke a thermometer when we were younger and not realizing that mercury separates. We found out by mushing it. Our mom didn't know but told us that we'd probably die from mercury poisoning. My sister and I were writing out our wills and preparing to say goodbye! LOL

Hope it doesn't affect any of the students.

songbird's crazy world said...

things than were a non-issue when we were kids take on such huge roles in our kids' lives, don't theY? mercurycan be toxic, but the amount released at your child's school is harmless...yet there was a lockdown. but in our day real toxic situations were brushed under the rug....

Cat said...

omg, if I had that message I would die laughing! I remember let it roll aroound in my hand too and no poisoning here. The county next to us shut down an entire school for a week a couple of years ago because of a mercury spill in the class room. How do they health professionals evaluate the kids anyway? We live in a legal happy world and I can say that since gay exhusband (#1) has always been a busy man. I'm so sorry but I keep laughing. I am always getting those weird school annoucements but they are for the inane. We never hear about the bomb threats until I kids come home.