About Me

My photo
Where Gravy Is a Side Dish, United States
Ever hear that everyone can do something well, especially with practice? Well.. my kids will tell you, my singing brings hands to ears and the neighbor's dogs wailing. In fact, I'm not good at a lot of things. I'm always looking for ways to make my life easier, cleaner, more organized and fun.

Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Rain, Glorious Rain

Alabama is set to be hit with a really good soaking today. (If not, I blame it all on Al Roker, the weather god.) So far we've had sprinkles. While most of you know that I am not an "outdoor girl," I have decided to go 1930s this year and plant some in the yard. I did this last Friday and I'm still on mega doses of Zyrtek and Benadryl. The beginning of this week I was on Excedrin Migraine because of the incredible power the sinus cavity has in overtaking all matter of senses in one's head. I'm not good at science, but I'm pretty sure that me going outside longer than to get the mail causes some part of my brain to explode because I can't see or think for days afterward. So for my part, I planted a few sunflowers and elephant ears. I tried weeding out the front area of the house, but the constant sneezing was counterproductive.

On to the garden... We are planting tomatoes, okra, beans, lettuce and some other foodstuff in our small-to-medium sized garden. My husband, Ford Man, has been tilling up the soil about every 6-7 days so it's nice and soft. The robins have loved getting all the worms out for us. (If only they'd not use the deck as their bathroom.) We sent a soil sample down to Auburn University to be tested. We hope that the tests will let us know how acidic the soil is and how to better prepare it for next year.

If I had a camera (again, mine broke and I'm still weeping over the loss), I'd show you pix of the garden. Maybe I can try with the phone camera once the rain is over.

I'm hoping it all comes up nicely and the rabbits that lurk in the bushes don't go to our snack bar and gorge like they did a few years back. We put up a fence this time. I am really excited that we'll be eating food we grew. And I'm secretly hoping we do such a good job that our neighbors will catch on too. I love Whole Foods but I have a feeling this might be even better.

3 comments:

taitle said...

I am nature's child, so I don't really get hayfever, but I do get allergic to cat fur :(

Ford Man, such a great nickname ^_^

Cat said...

The older I get the more I am allergic to. I love flowers and veggies but the stupid deer will not let up and we have the "no fence" rule here. I plant tomatoes in whiskey barrels on the deck and herbs. I've bought seeds for deer resistant flowers. I'll have to see how that goes. I'm envious of your garden. Yummy!

bethbbk said...

Cathy - There just aren't that many rules in Alabama as far as fences go. Depends on the neighborhood. We are in the county but not in a swanky gated neighborhood. As a matter of fact, we lived on the same road as the mayor for years. We never went without utilities or cable.

Taitle - He's only owned Fords and he'll be 40 this year. Name kinda sticks, doesn't it? He's great.