About Me

My photo
Where Gravy Is a Side Dish, United States
Ever hear that everyone can do something well, especially with practice? Well.. my kids will tell you, my singing brings hands to ears and the neighbor's dogs wailing. In fact, I'm not good at a lot of things. I'm always looking for ways to make my life easier, cleaner, more organized and fun.

Saturday, May 9, 2009

Graduation 2009

22 years in the making and it's finally come true. I graduated college today. Here is a picture of my Mom and Dad with me earlier today. (My Dad doesn't look 70 1/2 does he? He's got the best smile ever.) When I started this college, I was 18 and wasn't concerned about making good grades. I had a lot going on personally and school was not at the top of my list. A divorce, my first husband's death, remarriage and three kids later, I decided to go back and finish (15 years after I'd left).
My motivation in going back was two-fold. I wanted to show my kids that education was important in more ways that just me saying it. If I finished, I'd be walking the walk and talking the talk.
The second reason was because for years I have been passed over for jobs and promotions because I didn't have the degree. I had the experience and skills, but not the degree. So I feel much more confident looking for a job, even though this is a sucky job market now.
I bought the MAT book with some of my graduation money. I have been working those wacky problems so that I can take that test over the summer to get into grad school. If it all goes the way I am hoping it will, I can start in the 5th Year program and get my master's degree in a few years (I wouldn't take a full load).
On to the job prospects: I watch the websites like a hawk. After going to job fairs, I realize they aren't for me. I'm hoping to find a school willing to take someone with a B.A. and willing to work hard vs. a new M.A. Keep your fingers crossing and I'll update soon.
Beth
(Thanks for being patient with me.)

4 comments:

Cat said...

I am so proud of you!!!!!!!!!!

Jamie said...

as cliche as it sounds, words cannot express how proud I am of you. We have been talking about this since I first met you over 11 years ago! Did you get my card?

Laura said...

SOOOO PROOUUUDD!

We love you. You are my hero.


Also.. did I ever tell you you're my hero? You're everything I'd like to be. I can climb higher, than, than,... the EAGLES!! Because you are the wind beneath my wiiiiinngs.

xoxo

bethbbk said...

Laura - Thanks! You are my hero for putting up with all those "house guests" I can't stand for more than an hour at a time! Bless you, bless you!