About Me

My photo
Where Gravy Is a Side Dish, United States
Ever hear that everyone can do something well, especially with practice? Well.. my kids will tell you, my singing brings hands to ears and the neighbor's dogs wailing. In fact, I'm not good at a lot of things. I'm always looking for ways to make my life easier, cleaner, more organized and fun.

Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Ghostbusters!

Now I'm not saying we have ghosts. I'm saying that we feel some sort of odd presence in the house from time to time. At first, I thought it was some sort of ghost dog. It was only about the height of a chair. I felt something once on my hand when I was in the hallway.
Some of you are probably thinking, right Beth. Aliens, the pyramids, ghosts... Next you'll believe the Transformers really do exist. Not so fast. See, I've always loved the paranormal. I'm not sure why, but I have a suspicion that the episode in which Elizabeth from "The Waltons" experiences ghosts and the fact that I loved Disney's "Witch Mountain" franchise aided my deep-seated conviction that the paranormal is not only real, but misunderstood.
This ghost dog was kind of a funny thing around the house and talking about it totally spooked people who came over. It was almost like an inside secret joke. But shortly after the birth of my last son (now 5 yr old) changed all that.
When he was very small, able to eat and sit upright but not yet talk, he would point to nothingness and smile, sometimes babble. When he got a little older, he would talk to "it." When we asked about who he was talking to, he would say it was that "boy" who told him to "go away." Finally last year, he had a sort-of conversation with whatever it was. He said that the boy's name was Redmond. Lately, 5-yr old doesn't like sleeping in his room, even with flashlights.
For the few of you who actually know me, this could be kind of a scary thing. I might just go nuts and put the house up for sale. Thing is, I have never felt threatened. I don't know if it is just some feeling we have of what. But what I do know is that my very small child communicated with something several times. How do you explain that? And my kid had never even heard the name Redmond, although it seems like a good ghost name, don't you think?
So my husband (who does not want to be called Ford Man any longer) is letting me borrow his EMF meter. It's very similar to what the guys on Ghost Hunters use when they investigate a potential haunted building...in the dark...with a partner...with cameras.
Honestly, I'm afraid to make contact with Redmond. First, I feel like I'd look ridiculous sitting in the floor at night in the hallway talking like they do on the Ghost Hunters show. "Can you come out? Tell us your name? Knock three times so we'll know you're here?" And next, what happens if I actually do get some sort of response? Will I ever sleep again? What about my kids? Hmmm. Is it better not to know?
I need to point out that this is a late 1990s house, built on an empty lot in an old part of the neighborhood. It's on the corner so it's not like it's in the back 40. Our street is heavily traveled but in close proximity to two graveyards.
I'm curious - have you ever had some sort of experience like this before? Let me know. I'll try to keep you updated. In the meantime, send in your suggestions.

2 comments:

Cat said...

I feel for you. My parents farm house in Virginia was haunted and the house they have now is too according to my kids. The ghost at the farm really "messed" with everyone and as much as all of us loved it there I was happy when they sold it. Too many weird things happened. Keep an eye on your little man. Kids are so sensitive to these things. Just keep reassuring him that you and his daddy are there and to let you know everything. Good luck with the EMF. Try asking "it" to leave. I'm going to pray for you guys. Love ya.

bethbbk said...

Thanks, Cathy. I just feel so stupid walking around trying to find it. Nothing has gone missing, nothing askew, I just don't know how to explain it. Whatever it is, it isn't malicious. Did you ever see "City of Angels?" Maybe it's just the guardian angel...