About Me

My photo
Where Gravy Is a Side Dish, United States
Ever hear that everyone can do something well, especially with practice? Well.. my kids will tell you, my singing brings hands to ears and the neighbor's dogs wailing. In fact, I'm not good at a lot of things. I'm always looking for ways to make my life easier, cleaner, more organized and fun.

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Thanks - An Update

Again, I'd love to be my upbeat self, but we're still in a different place here. To those of you who may not know, I have three boys. The older two are from my first marriage (first husband passed in 2001). The youngest is with my husband now. The eldest is in college. The youngest is about to graduate kindergarden and the middle one - he's the one we're having the problems with. He is an extremely bright and gifted child - and bipolar. While in some areas he far exceeds his peers, he is behind emotionally and behaviorally. With this, he is able to perform well on tests but refuses to do any homework. In the past, he's skated by with As in classes he likes and Ds in those he didn't. It would almost entirely be the role of the teacher. If he liked her/him, he scored As. If not, he'd refuse to even participate in class. My frustration as a parent hits rocket levels when kids CAN do the work yet choose not to. He's been in alternative school for a month and is now in in-school-detention at the alternative school. Add to this out of class problems and numerous problems at home. I've fallen apart over and over. At first accepting it all as my role of a failed parent. And now it is taking a toll on my health.

A lot of other problems surround my extended family. I'm somehow a horrible parent for looking into county programs, even those including foster care. I've researched every camp and specialty school I could find. We don't have that kind of money. $14,000 for a summer behavior camp in Colorado? Please...

My point is that despite almost 13 years of psychiatric care, he doesn't seem to be getting better. I wish I knew what he REALLY needed, not what people think he needs. People, while well-intended, often give advice that is impractical, already been tried or occasionally, unbelieveable - someone once told me taking out his tonsils would cure his ADHD.

He needs a new place, new school, new scenery, new friends...

I appreciate those of you who have sent nice words my way. I hope that I can give you another update soon with better news.

Much love to all,
Beth

No comments: